Sunday, July 26, 2009

Mail from Stats on the Back

A few weeks ago fellow blogger Mark of 'Stats on the Back' made a very generous offer - Tell him your favorite team and he would send you a stack of that teams cards. On Wednesday day of last week I got a package from Stats on the Back with 48 Arizona Diamondbacks cards to add to my collection. Thanks Mark! I will be sending you a thank you package soon. Here are a few of the highlights, or since I am talking about the D-Backs, should they be called lowlights.

Here we have 3 current Diamondbacks: Brandon Webb, who pitched 6 innings on Opening Day -giving up 6 runs before getting injured. He hasn't pitched since. So what does giving up 6 runs in 6 innings do to your ERA? It puts it at 13.50. The 2007 Allen & Ginter card is great though and hopefully Webby will be back on the mound soon so that he can lower that ERA. Next, we have a 2008 Bowman card of Centerfielder Chris Young. After signing a contract extention last year, CY has officially done nothing. Okay, he has done something. He's batting a whopping .200! Keep up the good work Chris, maybe you will get up to .210 before the seasons over! Oh, and then we have a 2008 Topps card of Eric Byrnes. Byrnes is tearing it up right now! He's batting .216 this season, which is 7 points higher than his batting average last season, so I guess I should be happy.




Next is a 2007 Topps insert card commemorating Opening Day 2007, and the game between the Colorado Rockies and the Arizona Diamondbacks. I would like to mention that the D-Backs beat the Rockies 8-6 that day. The second card featured is probably my favorite out of the entire group. It is a 2009 Topps Black bordered Classic Combos card of Brandon Webb and Dan Haren. When healthy, I think they are the best pitching combination in the National League.

Here are some cards of D-Backs fan favorites Steve Finley, Luis Gonzalez and Matt Williams.

Next are cards featuring two current players, Stephen Drew and Miguel Montero, and one former manager, Bob Melvin. The Drew and Montero cards are great action shots. I especially like the Montero card since it appears that he prevented a run from scoring. I was sad to see Melvin get let go this season. I don't think it was his fault, but I understand that something had to be done.

Speaking of action cards. These next two are absolutly awesome! Matts Williams in full swing and Craig Counsell going head-first into second! Thanks again Mark for the cards! I owe you big time.

No comments:

Post a Comment