Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Cardboard and Water Don't Mix

I came home from work today and found my wife in my den on the floor sobbing hysterically. I saw that she had a bunch of my baseball cards and was trying to wipe them with a towel. It took me a few minutes to get her calmed down to the point that I could understand her. She had been at the computer and had somehow spilled her glass of water on our computer desk, which has stacks and stacks of baseball cards on it. She had been frantically trying to get them dry. I looked at the damage and helped finsh dry the rest of the affected cards. It could have been worse. I lost a stack of Rays cards I had been setting aside for my friend at work, about 10 Yankee Stadium Legacy cards, a stack of Tim Salmon cards (we went to the same high school), and a couple other random cards. She felt really bad about eeverything. I tried explaining that it wasn't that bad and that I knew it was just an accident. She felt really bad because she knows how much I enjoy the hobby. She told me the only way that she will feel better about it is if I by a nice box  or spend $100 on eBay. She made me promise I would get some new cards so she could move on. We'll see if she feels the same way tomorrow.

Below is an example of what happens when a 2011 Bowman card gets wet.

6 comments:

  1. That's sad.

    But it's nice to hear about a wife who is so understanding about your hobby. I hear too many stories about wives who hate their husband's hobby and I don't get it at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad it wasn't a stack of Yankees. It would have been an improvement. Seriously though, sorry to hear about the damage and her feeling so bad. You handled it well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Take the wife's offer and run!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In her defense, you really shouldn't have had tons of piles of cards sitting around cluttering everything up...at least that's how my wife has me programmed to think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweetheart for being concerned. You should take her to dinner, because you're a lucky man.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have a really sweet one. Mine would have said oops sorry. And crushed more with her bare hands so I'd forget about the ones with water damage. (jk)

    ReplyDelete