Monday, September 2, 2013

Sharing an elevator with Steve Finley and autographs from the D-Backs Alumni Game

My oldest son and I went to the D-Backs game on Saturday. It was Throwback Night and the 2nd Annual Alumni Game was held after the game. We got to the stadium just as the game was about to start. Our seats were in the upper deck so we made our way to the elevator. The door to the elevator opened and there were a couple of guys already in it, which I thought was weird because we were on the main concourse, but I didn't think that much of it. We headed up to the upper concourse and as soon as we got off the elevator we saw some people getting autographs near the entrance to a section of suites. The person who was signing went in just as we got there but one of the guys in the elevator with us then came over and started signing. I looked at him closer and realized it was Steve Finley. I realized later that he had thrown out the first pitch and so that was why he was on the elevator coming up from field level.

Steve Finley was one of my favorite D-Backs players and I had an 8 x 10 for him to sign so I was really excited to get his autograph.


In addition to the 8 x 10, we got him to sign two cards. One was at the same time as the 8 x 10 and the other was down by the field after the Alumni Game.


I had no idea beforehand that this was were all the players and their families were going to be during the game, so it worked out perfect that our seats were up their because after the game autographs were very difficult to get. We got Finley and one other player after the game just because not everyone signed and then they were at different locations all around the field and you couldn't really move around because they didn't sign for very long.

We met Moe from the blog My 2008 Topps Set Blog up there and had a good time graphing with him. We only stayed up there until the 4th or 5th inning because my son was getting restless. We did get some nice autographs though.

Jason Conti

















Reggie Sanders - Not sure if his signature always looks like that or if he was just in a hurry or what.
















Mike Morgan - He was really nice and took his time with each autograph.

Russ Ortiz


Andy Stankiewic - I didn't have any D-Backs cards of him but he signed these Yankees cards.












Travis Lee - He was a great signer. He came in with his family and told everyone he would come back out and sign after he got his family situated and he did and then he came out at least one other time and signed for everyone as well.











Shea Hillenbrand - I tried to find a card of Shea in an Angels uniform to have signed for Tom of the blog The Angels, In Order, but I couldn't find one. I did find one more card of him as a Diamondback while I was looking for the other players so I brought that along and had him sign it.


Albie Lopez  - He was the other player that we got after the game.

3 comments:

  1. Cool experience! Steve Finley was my favorite player as a kid (when he was with the Padres). The Reggie Sanders cards look cool as well (another former Padre).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good stuff. You only missed Cintron, Spivey, Randolph. Glad to see you got a few afterward.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice choice with the 92 Topps Morgan. I wish he signed Ttm.

    ReplyDelete