Saturday, December 6, 2014

Same Card...Different Serial Numbering

I picked up this 2004 Fleer Platinum Randy Johnson Nameplates card off eBay recently. I was watching it and it didn't sell. Then it was re-listed so I bid on it and then of course someone else bid on it as well. I ended up winning it though.

I originally thought the patch was from the tips of the 5 and the 1, but the more I looked at it, the more I think it might be upside down and from the H and the N.


It's numbered 026/290.


I got the card in a few days ago but didn't realize until this morning that I already had this card.

I had a feeling that I had one that was similar, but I thought it was from a different year. Turns out it was the same year and the same card....but the serial numbering is different.

It's numbered out of 200 instead of 290. What the heck? The only thing I could think of is that it is from two different jerseys and so they did two sets of serial numbering, but I really have no idea.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?



2 comments:

  1. The serial #'d to 200 card might have been a previously unreleased card from when Fleer went out of business and had to sell off their assets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Somehow there's a distinction between "Player Nameplates" (200) and "Team Nameplates" (290). Beckett has a separate listing for both, but I can't tell what the difference is other than the print run.

    ReplyDelete