Thursday, April 7, 2016

TTM Success: Doug Jones and a couple of questions

On 6/8/15 I sent 6 cards to Doug Jones. On 4/4/16 I got back 8 cards, 7 of which were signed by the 5 x All Star.

He didn't sign this 1989 Topps Record Breaker card. It's a UER (uncorrected error) and apparently doesn't feature Mr. Jones, although it looks like him to me. You can see that the player on the card is wearing jersey #24, but Jones wore #11.

For the Indians in 1988, Terry Francona wore #24. This looks nothing like Francona. Anyone know who it is that is featured on this card?


He did sign these 7 cards. I think I only sent him 6 cards. The last one is a testimonial card that he added. I'm thinking maybe he added another card because he didn't sign the Record Breakers card. If I had to guess I would say it was the second 1992 Topps card that he added because I don't typically send doubles to have players sign.

My other question was what did Doug Jones add after his signature, but I think I figured it out while I was writing this post. I think it says PTL, which I'm guessing stands for "Praise the Lord".But what if that's not what PTL stood for. What if it stood for "People Talk Loud" or "Play to Lose"?

What else could PTL stand for? Have some fun, but let's keep it clean. 







7 comments:

  1. That Score Dream Team car has long been a favorite of mine; nice choice to get autographed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. That Dream Team card is my favorite out of the lot!

      Delete
  2. play the lottery?

    i agree that the 89 topps card looks like him. he has a woolworths card (also made by topps) from 1989 that also shows him wearing 24.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is really strange about the Woolworths card. Looks like Chris Codiroli is the one on both cards, but I'm not sure why he's wearing #24.

      Delete
  3. It's Chris Codiroli in the picture

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bo! In looking up Codiroli, he and Doug Jones do look very similar. Wonder why he was wearing #24.

      Delete
  4. Looks like "PTL" "Praise The Lord"?

    ReplyDelete